May 16 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
In the last weeks of 1873, the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad opened its branch line passenger service from the Harlem River to New Rochelle. The line included a station stop at the newly constructed Bartow Station, which is located along today’s Shore Road between Bartow-Pell Circle and the intersection with City Island Road. Maria Lorillard Bartow, widow of Robert Bartow who built the Bartow-Pell Mansion, developed plans to subdivide portions of the Bartow estate for the construction of a new subdivision named Bartow. She planned to cash in on the rampant land speculation under way at the time. Maria Bartow’s timing was awful. Her plans failed. Cost Bartow-Pell Members free; Not-Yet Members $10 Register here.